Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).

DIY Chalkboard Hallway

Hi everyone! I somewhat recently painted my hallway (floor to ceiling) with chalkboard paint. I know chalkboards aren't a new thing, but I'm still so in love with this one!

Here is the before:

And here is the after!

I also recently drew some new chalkboard art:

I'm just really having too much fun with it, like a kid! Do you have any chalkboards in your house?

Visit my blog post on the chalkboard wall here: DIY Chalkboard Hallway

Burlap and Lace Blog

Comments

• I love it! Your chalk illustrations are beautiful. Do you use regular chalk or a chalk marker?
  • Hi, BurlapandLace!

Boy, that looks great. I just love the frames on the chalkboard. Really adds something. I would've never thought to sharpen my chalk (I just made a 3' by 4' chalkboard out of hardboard, still need to hang it up and frame it).

I also wondered if you ever use those chalk pens on your wall. Maybe those just work best with real slate/the-ones-hanging-in-schools???

Totally enjoyed that post. Thanks!
    Anne :)
  • Love it! I'm trying to convince my family something similar would work in our mudroom. Remove the shelving and paint the entire wall. Thanks for the great photos - I'll use these as ammunition to help convince them. Sorry for the poor photo quality - this was taken from a video my daughter took on our house tour of our new house.

photo 1.PNG
    828 x 523 - 524K
  • I love it! Your chalk illustrations are beautiful. Do you use regular chalk or a chalk marker?

I always use regular chalk! Just the plain old pack of white. It's much more forgiving! :)
  • Anne said:

Hi, BurlapandLace!

Boy, that looks great. I just love the frames on the chalkboard. Really adds something. I would've never thought to sharpen my chalk (I just made a 3' by 4' chalkboard out of hardboard, still need to hang it up and frame it).

I also wondered if you ever use those chalk pens on your wall. Maybe those just work best with real slate/the-ones-hanging-in-schools???

Totally enjoyed that post. Thanks!
    Anne :)

Thanks so much, Anne! I've heard that the chalk pens are harder to erase, and I really don't like the look of permanence that they give. I really like the dusty, chalky (for lack of a better word) look that regular old chalk has!
  • themama23 said:

Love it! I'm trying to convince my family something similar would work in our mudroom. Remove the shelving and paint the entire wall. Thanks for the great photos - I'll use these as ammunition to help convince them. Sorry for the poor photo quality - this was taken from a video my daughter took on our house tour of our new house.

A chalkboard wall would look sooooo coooool in that room! I can just picture it now...bright white walls, chalkboard accent wall, cool industrial light fixture...it would look so awesome!

And good luck with the convincing! :)
  • i love love love this. Especially the frames on the wall. Super creative putting the frame around the thermostat!
  • LFedz said:

i love love love this. Especially the frames on the wall. Super creative putting the frame around the thermostat!

Yes the frames - and the clock are my favorite part of the wall.
  • Love it!! So creative. I have to ask, does dust get everywhere from it?
  • kniese said:

Love it!! So creative. I have to ask, does dust get everywhere from it?

Thanks so much! It doesn't get anywhere, really, unless I'm drawing something. I press really hard on the chalk to get a darker line, so some dust falls off! I just sweep it up afterwards :)

• This is so incredibly gorgeous! I love the look - and your chalkboard writing skills are impressive!!!
  • stephanie said:

I'm so jealous of your chalk art skills! I bought ceramic storage containers from Target a week ago for things like sugar, flour, etc. (also not a new concept, I'm sure everyone's seen these) with chalk labels, and I've been ignoring them because of my messy chalk handwriting.

A great tip for writing on small objects is to sharpen the tip of a piece of chalk with a regular old pencil sharpener (I use the kind for eyeliner pencils). It sharpens the chalk to a point, and then it writes in a fine line like a pen!
    what an awesome idea, thanks!
  • Wow, your chalkboard handwriting is amazing and I don't know if it's just me, but chalkboard writing is the hardest!
  • Wow this is so cool and bold!! I am wondering how you do such precision with chalk? Do you use special pens or something? I have a smaller chalkboard i would love to stylize but can't seem to write properly, nowhere near as nice as yours!