Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).

Any ideas on decorating/painting a little boy's bedroom?

Hi everyone! I have a smaller bedroom that I am stuck on. My little boy is almost five and I really would like to make him a bedroom that he will love. He has ADHD, so I'm thinking calming colors will be nice to help calm his little brain down at night :) I have tried asking him what he likes, but he doesn't know. I'd love to incorporate some greens, grays, blues and browns and make it look masculine but not too babyish.
Does anybody have photos of their little guy's room or ideas they'd like to share? Any styles and color schemes are appreciated - thanks so much!
Oh - and the kiddo loves nature. Bears, moose, trees, mountains - the whole shebang :)

Comments

• HouseUpdatedHouseUpdated Seattle, WA
    Haha, I am in a similar boat with a just-turned-five-year-old and needing to do a boy room update to go from little kid to regular boy. I haven't posted any pics of my own yet, but have looked around and saw this room that might be a good starting point for you. Maybe keeping the main colors in blue/green/brown and with gray walls? Or pale green walls go well with those other colors for accents (we have Restoration Hardware's sycamore green and it is very restful a perfect neutral green backdrop for just about anything). Good luck!
  • hi hi! we just wrapped up our little guys room. maybe these will be helpful!

finalnursery_3.jpg
    550 x 309 - 87K
    finalnursery_5.jpg
    550 x 309 - 59K
    finalnursery_8.jpg
    550 x 309 - 66K
    finalnursery_4.jpg
    550 x 980 - 185K
    finalnursery_1.jpg
    550 x 309 - 71K
  • Haha, I am in a similar boat with a just-turned-five-year-old and needing to do a boy room update to go from little kid to regular boy. I haven't posted any pics of my own yet, but have looked around and saw this room that might be a good starting point for you. Maybe keeping the main colors in blue/green/brown and with gray walls? Or pale green walls go well with those other colors for accents (we have Restoration Hardware's sycamore green and it is very restful a perfect neutral green backdrop for just about anything). Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I'm loving that bedding set. So cute for a little outdoorsy guy :) I think I could build around that set. I can't decide if green or gray walls would look better - must be time to go to get some paint samples! Good luck on your little guy's room too - I'd love to see updates when you're done!
  • hi hi! we just wrapped up our little guys room. maybe these will be helpful!

What a great job you did!!! Your little boy is so lucky. The curtains, rug and mural/decal? really pop out at me. Where did they come from? Thank you for your response!
  • I don't really have any good pics for you, Makingahouseahome's are adorable, but just wanted to share that in my experience visual stimuli are significantly less of an issue for my ADD brain than sound or movement.
  • Tina said:

I don't really have any good pics for you, Makingahouseahome's are adorable, but just wanted to share that in my experience visual stimuli are significantly less of an issue for my ADD brain than sound or movement.

Hi Tina,
    Thank you for commenting! I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate? I know my pediatrician suggested to me not having a lot of visual stimulation - he suggested a muted grey/blue for the walls and not too many patterns - but this is all his personal opinion and not medically proven or valid. What do you think? Have a nice day :)
  • Suzanimal13Suzanimal13 Rhode Island
    My 11 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6 but had it since he was 3. He tells me now that stimulating things (ie. Video games, TV) are the only thing that calms his brain! Maybe its backwards for them... Like they say caffeine calms them? Dunno!
  • Pics of those maps :)
    image.jpg
    558 x 492 - 105K
    image.jpg
    570 x 570 - 44K
  • My 11 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6 but had it since he was 3. He tells me now that stimulating things (ie. Video games, TV) are the only thing that calms his brain! Maybe its backwards for them... Like they say caffeine calms them? Dunno!

Thanks for that! It's funny actually we were told to give our guy caffeine pills in the morning to calm his brain down. We haven't but have heard from other parents that it really does work. I notice my son who has a speech delay seems to gravitate towards really bright colors too - like a bright red, lime green, orange...but I thought a blue or gray would calm down his brain. Maybe I'm thinking backwardS?? LOL! have a great day :)

• Pics of those maps :)

Thanks Jessie, these are so cute!! I love that they're perfect for a little explorer. I think they'd fit perfectly into our theme. Have a great day!
  • @lovekismet the curtains are Ikea ($25 a pair I think), rug is rugsUSA, and the mural was painted by Duane Hosein xxoo
  • Thought I'd chime back in now that I've done a few updates in our boy's room (and coincidentally, it included a large wall map)! More info here. Hope you are making some progress with the room @lovekismet !
  • Here's link to one I bookmarked that I thought was super cute.
    homestoriesatoz.com/decorating/rain-gutter-bookshelves-beadboard-wallpaper.html
    Maybe a little more red than you might want, but maybe you could find a plaid pattern with a little more blue/green.
  • @lovekismet the curtains are Ikea ($25 a pair I think), rug is rugsUSA, and the mural was painted by Duane Hosein xxoo

Thanks so much!! xoxo
  • girlfrog said:

Here's link to one I bookmarked that I thought was super cute.
    homestoriesatoz.com/decorating/rain-gutter-bookshelves-beadboard-wallpaper.html
    Maybe a little more red than you might want, but maybe you could find a plaid pattern with a little more blue/green.

Actually I love it!! That "beadboard" is so cute - and the red looks great with the wall color. I think you're right, it'd be perfect with a blue/green plaid. Will post pics when I finish! :)
  • Thought I'd chime back in now that I've done a few updates in our boy's room (and coincidentally, it included a large wall map)! More info here. Hope you are making some progress with the room @lovekismet !

Your little man's room looks so great! Lucky boy. Okay, now come decorate mine ;) I haven't made any progress...but you've definitely gave me some inspiration!
  • We redid my son's room when he was 7. We wanted something classic that he wouldn't outgrow, as we didn't (and still don't) have tons of money :-) Nautical theme, with off-white walls and a sailboat wallpaper border at the top. Lots of blue, green, and red accents (striped curtains). I sewed small nautical flags to spell out his name and hung them over the bed, and we put up sailing posters that my hubby had collected back in the day. He's 17 now and the decor is still great for him.
  • kcadams25kcadams25 Washington
    For max's room I just Started out by finding little things that I loved. The room is coming together very slowly but it's definitely fits his personality. It's a happy room that's ready to be played in.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Following! Trying to figure out even a good blue for a preschooler room is hard! Either too dark or baby ish! loving these updates!
  • I signed up just so I could put in my two cents on ADD.

I was diagnosed when I was 6 and again as an adult 3 years ago. Now there is lots of debate over what exactly ADD is, what may cause it, or if its even just one disorder. Regardless of all that this is what has helped me.

A lot of us tend to have an out of sight out of mind way of thinking so I try to limit the amount of clutter and knickknacks in my bedroom. Having a playroom for my siblings and I helped with this a lot. If this isn't possible, I suggest closed storage. If there are toys out and around its hard to focus on what you are doing. That thing that your kid obsesses over, that makes him focus (when I was little this thing was decorating for my barbies, for my brother it was video games) don't put that in his room. I would get soooo distracted trying to go to bed by my toys and the things around me.
  • I redecorated my son's room last year when he turned five. At the time he wanted Angry Birds and his favorite color was green. Since then he has changed both favorites several times. I'm so happy I went with Nimbus Gray walls, nice navy blackout curtains from PBKs and a cheap navy quilt from Target. I can change accent colors from green to red, orange, brown... And easily update themes with a couple throw pillows and replacing the poster I got a nice poster frame for. Normally I'm anti themed rooms but this is the age they get so excited by them and having a neutral background makes it so easy/cheap to accommodate him.
  • @KianandLiv, I LOVE Nimbus Grey as a color choice. I have it narrowed down actually to Nimbus or Colorado. Do you think there's much of a difference? I love the idea of switching out accents as their tastes really do change quickly, don't they! I love the idea of swapping photos/posters out of frames for a cheap and easy way to change the whole room!
  • FurryHen said:

I signed up just so I could put in my two cents on ADD.

I was diagnosed when I was 6 and again as an adult 3 years ago. Now there is lots of debate over what exactly ADD is, what may cause it, or if its even just one disorder. Regardless of all that this is what has helped me.

A lot of us tend to have an out of sight out of mind way of thinking so I try to limit the amount of clutter and knickknacks in my bedroom. Having a playroom for my siblings and I helped with this a lot. If this isn't possible, I suggest closed storage. If there are toys out and around its hard to focus on what you are doing. That thing that your kid obsesses over, that makes him focus (when I was little this thing was decorating for my barbies, for my brother it was video games) don't put that in his room. I would get soooo distracted trying to go to bed by my toys and the things around me.

Thanks so much for commenting, FurryHen! I love to be enlightened by an adult perspective from an ADD individual. I wish I could look inside my little guy's brain and see life how he does! I know people love to debate the topic of ADD and it's causes, but I agree with everything you've said as far as helping his brain calm down at night. I've been tossing the idea of a playroom around for him so he can have the "out-of-sight" type of mindset. I think this concreted my decision, so thanks! I was so surprised to hear you say that an obsession is an ADD thing, but I agree. See, I was putting things he loved in his room to "help" him fall asleep. I wonder now if maybe the reason he isn't sleeping is because of that help. Do you sleep well at night? I have heard some ADD children will outgrow not sleeping, and some continue to not sleep as adults.

Thanks for your input :)
  • Following! Trying to figure out even a good blue for a preschooler room is hard! Either too dark or baby ish! loving these updates!

Isn't it hard to find that perfect in-between blue? We don't want baby blue, but we don't want blackish-blue. I'm finally in between Nimbus Grey and Colorado Grey (Both are similar, and blue...definitely not grey). I'd love to hear your thoughts on the two!

I think the key is to find a blue with some undertones in it (grey, in our case as lots of bedding/furniture will have grey tones).

Cheers!