Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).

DIY Giant Flower Wall

I first started seeing walls of flowers on Tumblr years back, but never with any info on them. A little digging lead me to find that they were once a display piece at Anthropologie stores, so maybe that is the source?

Anyways, I knew I wanted to do this but when I went to Joann's to buy flowers they were prohibitively expensive. I needed about 120 flowers to finish my 8x8 wall, and at Joann's, it was about $5 for every two flowers, at the very cheapest. This means it would have cost me $300 to do my tiny little office wall? Maaaybe $180 if I had the good coupons. Anyways, no, dumb.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon six bags of fake flowers at the thrift store for $15, so I picked those up. Some of them are ridiculously ugly, like these pink roses with diamonds in the middle, but about 60% or so were usable.

In the inspiration picture, it looks like they taped the flowers up with either masking or washi tape, but I tried that and before I was even done placing the first row, they all buckled under the weight and fell off. I gave in and just busted out the staple gun since I'll have to spackle this entire **** apartment when I move out anyways. The staples were the perfect size to grip the stems, even the fat ones, and hold great.
It is a pretty straightforward process of place and staple, but it was a little hard because I am short and lazy.

Though, even with breaks, the entire process only took me 45 minutes. A few things that were helpful:

-Especially if you thrift your flowers, you'll no doubt have some that are much prettier than others. Do not use them all up in the first two rows, because then the last ten rows will look like ****. Be conscious of mixing it up, and trying not to place the same flowers next to each other, creating a visual jam.

-You don't need wire cutters to snip your stems (they usually come attached in a bouquet), but it would probably make it easier. I just used standard scissors to cut through the wax, and then bent the stems back and forth until the wire snapped.

-When snipping your stems, try and cut them all at varying lengths. I cut most of mine the same length, and I got a little annoyed at how patterned it looked, when I wanted it to be less uniform and more ~free~.

-Leave the little plastic leaves on as many as you can. I like the look better, and they are helpful in hiding staples.
If you aren't able to find thrift store flowers, Dollar Tree has a giant wall of flowers that I think are a bundle of three for $1.

I love it, and plan on doing my entire house like this, which isn't at all crazy. For real though, I like how much higher it made the tiny ceilings in the office feel, and how it adds a sunny pop that you can see from almost anywhere in my very long, classic Chicago-style apartment!

There are a few more pictures on the original post! http://www.radicalpossibility.com/2013/08/diy-flower-wall.html

xox

Comments