Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).

White walls with white trim

I'd like to paint our guest room white, along with white trim, adding color with pillows, curtains, throws and art. My question is, should I paint the walls and trim the same color white, but with a matte wall and gloss trim? Or two different color whites? I freeze when I think of what color to paint the walls so I decide on white, but even white isn't that simple. And also, what's common when it comes to finishes? What finish goes where? Thanks for any input!
Tagged:

Comments

• Glossy or semi-gloss on the trim, but maybe not matte on the walls. That's too hard to wipe off, especially when they're white. Try eggshell.
  • What about a super pale grey or tan just to have a tiny bit of contrast? I always find truly all white rooms pretty harsh, even when they are full of fun pops of color. They just never seem warm to me.
  • There are whites with every background shade imaginable--yellow, gray, blue, pink...I'd go with a neutral white in semigloss for the trim, and an eggshell/satin for the wall. But, I'd choose a wall white that had the background color of whatever color you want to decorate with.
  • Crazy how many whites there are, lol. Our Kitchen has off the shelf white beadboard and trim in semigloss, with a very light white/ecru in eggshell on the walls, and our ceiling is a white with a gray/brown tone to it. It looks really good, but when I first painted it my husband thought I was crazy. Now there is lots of color in it with a bench in colorado gray, and the pocket door in sesame :)
  • We recently painted the main living areas of our house a white satin. The color is similar to the trim color but not exactly a match but it is hard to see the difference. My husband thought he would hate the white walls/white trim but we both love it. It makes the room look much larger and "happy".

• juliejmjuliejm Madison, WI
    Thank you for your ideas!