Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).
Hey guys! To those wondering what will happen to these forums given the recent news on our blog - we plan to keep them alive and kicking for as long as the banner ads here continue to offset the hosting fees. We will certainly keep you posted (and give you plenty of notice) if that ever changes. Thanks for using the forums and happy chatting!

Google Reader Replacement?

edited April 2013 in Blogging
Have you guys found a Google Reader replacement that you like? Has anyone tried Smashing Reader? It seems like that's a good replacement but you have to enter your google username/password which makes me nervous.

Bloglovin is nice but I subscribe to random RSS things that don't show up in Bloglovin (like my Craigslist searches). I know a lot of people are trying more visual RSS readers but I'm just looking for something super streamlined and text based. Any thoughts?

Comments

• The Old Reader. It looks exactly the same, works the same. LOVE IT.
  • I'm still using Google Reader because I have separation anxiety. We'll see what happens in July. On my phone, I'm using the Newsify app for iOS, which is FANTASTIC. I hope they keep on even after Google Reader shuts down.
  • I tried NetVibes and Feedly. I slowly transitioned completely to Feedly. It did take a bit of getting used to but I find it's pretty much second nature now. I recommend it.
  • I like Feedly too. It's not perfect, but I like it better on my phone than on the computer. I'm also hoping they make some improvements over the next few months. It's certainly a step up from Google Reader, which drove me bonkers!
  • I'm another Feedly user. It's no Google Reader, but it gets the job done.
  • I find Feedly reallly sloow on my iphone4 - anyone else have this issue?
  • Gotta say I love Bloglovin. Lame name, but I like it even better than Google Reader. It shows previews of each story with a picture from the post so that if it's something you aren't interested in (i.e. if you are on a diet and don't want a new cake recipe) you can quickly scroll past it to the next one. I couldn't do that with Reader.
  • Interested in trying some of these services you guys have mentioned. I've never found one I really like and have a tendency to just go through my blog bookmarks. I think I'll try Feedly first!
  • For you Feedly users: I've added a couple blogs. The most recent entries come up and as I read them, I click "Mark as read". They disappear and eventually there's nothing left. Then when I come back a few hours later to see if anything new has posted, most if not all of those things that I had marked as read are back! Aren't they supposed to go away and stay away? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?
  • For you Feedly users: I've added a couple blogs. The most recent entries come up and as I read them, I click "Mark as read". They disappear and eventually there's nothing left. Then when I come back a few hours later to see if anything new has posted, most if not all of those things that I had marked as read are back! Aren't they supposed to go away and stay away? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

Hi!

I have a similar issue... I remove a feed, it says that it's gone... but when I come back, the feed is still there... I don't know what am I doing wrong...