Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).
Hey guys! To those wondering what will happen to these forums given the recent news on our blog - we plan to keep them alive and kicking for as long as the banner ads here continue to offset the hosting fees. We will certainly keep you posted (and give you plenty of notice) if that ever changes. Thanks for using the forums and happy chatting!

Penny-Pinching Porch Makeover!

Hey guys! We just finished a DIY porch makeover and we completed everything 00 from decking to paint to trim to decor-- for under $600!

We installed wooden decking over an existing concrete porch & cut our own trim to save money -- SO. MUCH. CHEAPER.

Vinyl lattice covered the remaining exposed concrete. It all looks so much cleaner now!

Feel free to check out the full post on my blog if you want more info: Pretty Organized

Comments

• How nice! So much better than concrete. Do you have plans to stain or paint the new porch?
  • Thanks, Meg! I like the way it looks right now (which is lucky, bc apparently you have to wait at least 6 months before staining salt treated wood anyway!), but I'm sure it will fade over the winter. We'll probably choose a stain for next year. Any ideas?
  • Such an adorable house!! I would consider porch paint instead of stain. It does require a bit of upkeep, but so does staining. Then you could do a really great color - with that navy, wouldn't screaming sunshine yellow be fantastic? :-) Also consider painting the inside ceiling of your porch a pale sky blue --- it's so relaxing and pretty when sitting under a porch with a blue ceiling.

Are you in an area where you could use a ceiling fan in your porch? How nice to have the soft breeze of a fan on a hot afternoon on your really cute porch.

As much as I love my enclosed front porch on our house, I do always love these wonderful big open ones too.

Fun!!!
  • edited August 2013
    Definitely boosted the curb appeal, great job!! Really digging the clean sleek look!
  • Thanks, @bNwobsession & @nickwillscasa! @lizaanne, those are such fun ideas! I love the look of a painted porch ceiling!! Anyone have any suggestions for the left side of the porch? Perhaps a hammock or a deck box, or maybe something really cool I don't even know about?
  • Porch swing!
  • I was thinking a nice, deep warm brown on the porch and tops of the steps, and a white paint on the vertical pieces between the steps. I'm always thinking of resale value, and I think something bright and crazy might be a turn off for future buyers. And could you put a small porch swing on the left side? We absolutely love ours.
  • annieheartsanniehearts Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    It's beautiful Casey! I'd like to sit there with a book and some lemonade! XO
  • can I say that your house is gorgeous? I love the shade of blue with the white. I love the new porch. It just looks beautiful.

• What a transformation! You have inspired me to fix my horrid front steps!

Jenna @ Wife in Progress
  • StaceyCrewStaceyCrew Charleston, SC
    Your house is adorable! Love the blue and white color combination.