Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).
Hey guys! To those wondering what will happen to these forums given the recent news on our blog - we plan to keep them alive and kicking for as long as the banner ads here continue to offset the hosting fees. We will certainly keep you posted (and give you plenty of notice) if that ever changes. Thanks for using the forums and happy chatting!

White Counters: Yea or Nay?

I am hoping to completely redo my kitchen this year. My husband and I love the look of IKEA White Abstrakt cabinets with white counters. We are completely sold on the cabinets, but fear that the white counter will be hard to keep clean. Does anyone have white counters that they love/hate?

Comments

• We have white Ikea cabinets with white quartz countertops and LOVE them. The quartz is life changing - we have a hard time keeping our kitchen super clean with our schedules but the quartz absorbs nothing and cleans perfectly; even week-old coffee drips come off with little effort. I say go for it!
  • I lived with white counters in an apartment for about 3 years. I found that as long as you do quick wipedowns regularly they're fine. It's nice to have a magic eraser on hand for them for deep cleaning. The counters we had were not the best quality but they were still easy to keep clean.
  • We have white carrara quartz countertops and I really like them. In previous houses we've had tile and santa cecilia granite. I definitely like the white quartz the best. You will have to wipe them down probably every night; they will show every little thing on them. But they will clean very easily. I use non-amonia glass cleaner (Glass Plus) to wipe them down. It cleans them really well without leaving any kind of film on them or making them look dull. If I need to I use an anti-bacterial spray, but for day to day it's the Glass Plus.
  • HouseUpdatedHouseUpdated Seattle, WA
    Yep, I've got white corian counters in our current kitchen. They were put in in 1992 and they still look amazing - not a stain anywhere. Our counters are subjected to two messy kiddos, two red-wine-drinking adults, and lots of parties, and they still look great. When we redo our kitchen, we'll probably go for white counters again. And for contrast, we had black granite in our last house (with gold/copper flecks) and those were way harder to keep looking clean. Good luck with your decision!
  • aberikaberik Philadelphia
    We have ceasarstone in blizzard, I have a love hate relationship with them. We use our kitchen a lot, the whiteness of the quartz definitely makes the room look bigger but I have to make sure to wipe them down frequently. So far I haven't had any stains with coffee or wine, but turmeric is hard to get out. And if a metal object scrapes against the countertop (like the inside counter edge of the sink where I dry my pots and pans) it leaves a mark that is near impossible for me to get out. The installers said it can be taken out by them by polishing it. I LOVE our countertops, but if I had to do it again I would choose something with a white or gray speckle to help hide any imperfections. Good luck!
  • Just had to chime in. We have white Formica countertops and with 2 kids, I hate them. The littlest dirt shows and I'm constantly giving them a thorough scrubbing because they look dirty. I'm all about keeping things clean, but they are high maintenance in my opinion.
  • anaiya020anaiya020 Orlando, Florida
    We've had white laminate countertops for the past 12 years and I prefer it actually. We've had dark mottled granite but I could never tell if they were clean (crumbs blended in too well). My white ones however, easy to see and easy to clean. We've spilled fruit juice, placed cast irons too close to the sink so it left rust rings, etc (we are not a gentle family), between plain ole vinegar and water and a magic eraser (really is magical!), they look like they did when we bought the place in 2002.
  • I lived with white counters (solid white laminate) for four years and I have to tell you that i hated them. Not because of the stains (red wine, coffee, tomato sauce) but because of the fact that every single crumb, grease splatter, coffee ground, water spot, jelly smear, fingerprint, etc etc instantly made the kitchen look messy & dirty. Its like all that whiteness magnifies and calls attention to whatever falls on it. So its not just a matter of keeping them clean. You have to be willing to wipe them down after EVERY. SINGLE. USE. all day long. (soooo not happening around here)
    I think in our case where it was a small kitchen with limited counter space it was even worse. When we redid our kitchen this fall I chose Negresco Suede granite which is black with heavy gray swirls and a matte textured finish. Now, when Im ready to give them a good wipedown after dinner, they clean up in a second (no staining!!) and in the meantime, they hide a good deal of the daily use. Good luck with your renovation!
  • carlifabcarlifab Houston, TX
    Yea!! We put in snow white quartz countertops 2 years ago and LOVE them. They have a tiny bit of speckle to them, not completely flat, and so they hide a lot. But, they also look beautiful and clean. Quartz is the way to go! Easy to clean with Windex or a magic sponge too!
  • amyksamyks Boston
    We have white cesarstone counter tops and they are awesome. Within the first day of use, I left a wet tomato can on it and it left a rust ring, I was horrified, freaked out, and so mad at myself, but google to the rescue. The interweb told me to put a little soft scrub on it and clean it with a blue scrubby sponge. Worked like a charm, also easy clean up of red wine stains, etc. They are heat and stain resistant, so if you can splurge on them, I say go for it, you won't regret it!
  • RachelleRRachelleR Portland, OR
    My husband and I just finished our kitchen remodel and we have the white Abstrakt Ikea fronts up top with Arctic white Q Quartz counters (http://www.qfrommsi.com/colors/arctic-white-quartz/) and walnut fronts below (ignore the mismatched bar stools, we weren't finished when that picture was taken).

We love the white counter tops, and my husband and I both agree that we keep them much more clean because it's obvious when there are crumbs and spills. Now we quickly wipe the counters down on a daily basis and only have to deep clean every other week or once a month or so with Bar Keeper's friend. They don't stain at all, and they make the room feel so bright!
    1380325_10101799522998383_115026334_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 65K
    1381857_10101799524156063_1219263319_n.jpg
    720 x 960 - 76K
  • I HATE our speckled formica counter tops because I never know when they are clean. Seeing crumbs on a white counter top wouldn't bother me, because then I would know they were there and I could wipe them off! I literally have to run my palm over every inch of our counter tops to feel if they are clean or not... Ugh!
  • I feel the same as itshappenstance about our white laminate counters. As soon as something spills it needs to be wiped up so it doesn't stain, and every little crumb, coffee ground, or speck of dust shows. While I am pretty good at wiping up spills when they happen, my husband is not... I'm sure other white materials (NOT laminate) are better in the stain-resistant category, but I for one can't wait until we re-do our kitchen and get something darker put in.
  • Before my white countertops, I had brown/beige ones that were laminates in a imitation of granit. I hated them. Maybe it's because my husband have a disease widely spread among husbands and children, the TBCD or the TEMPORARY BLINDNESS FOR CRUMBS DISEASE. With those brown/beige countertops it was so easy to "not have seen" the crumbs or the spills and I find it really discusting when you touch the counter and it is sticky or full of crumbs. So every time I was in the kitchen, I had to begin buy cleaning the countertops.

Now with white countertops, even with a severe TBCD it's impossible not to see the crumbs or spills, so everyone have to clean after themselves... and it's always nice! SIMPLY LOVE WHITE COUNTERTOPS... will never have anything else!