Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).

DIY Chunky Wooden Floating Shelves

We finished building our second set of chunky wooden floating shelves over the weekend!

We built our first set in the nook of our powder room so no sides were needed. The second set (shown above) was built with sides so you can put them anywhere in your house!

Check out how they look at the top of our stairs:

The new shelves make the space feel so much lighter and brighter than before! Think you'll build a set of your own?

Comments

• ljd said:

Definitely checking out your tutorial! These are great! Were they quite heavy? Wondering about the importance of finding studs (in walls, as in life :))

They're not too heavy but we did screw each shelf into 3 studs and used 4 anchors per shelf that can hold 50 pounds each. It may have been overkill but at least we know nothing will come crashing down at 2am!
  • carlyp said:

Can I ask where you got the pig? I grew up on a farm and I'm adding little pig accents around the house and it's adorable!

I got the pig from HomeGoods a few years ago and spray painted him orange! I know Z Gallerie sells a small flying pig. Target might have one too so you might have luck finding one there if you don't have a HomeGoods near you!
  • Love this!!! I really want to do chunky wood shelves in our great room but my husband is iffy on it. Maybe I can convince him this summer :)
  • I LOVE these!! They are gorgeous :)
  • Love this!!! I really want to do chunky wood shelves in our great room but my husband is iffy on it. Maybe I can convince him this summer :)

Good luck! I hope these change his mind :)

• amp324 said:

I LOVE these!! They are gorgeous :)

Thank you! :)
  • This is crazy. I just came across your original tutorial a couple weeks ago as I was googling "chunky floating shelves". But, yours were built in, so I was bummed because I need regular shelves and am way to dense to figure it out on my own. So very glad you posted. These are awesome and styled so well!
  • Mabbie said:

This is crazy. I just came across your original tutorial a couple weeks ago as I was googling "chunky floating shelves". But, yours were built in, so I was bummed because I need regular shelves and am way to dense to figure it out on my own. So very glad you posted. These are awesome and styled so well!

Thanks Mabbie! We had always intended on doing a follow up shelf post with sides (like the ones we did above) but we didn't really know where to put them. When we moved the table we originally had at the top of the stairs, it was like a lightbulb went off and the new shelves were born :)
  • Love it! The pig looks awesome with its new orange makeover. And you're such a pro at styling shelves.
  • Love it! The pig looks awesome with its new orange makeover. And you're such a pro at styling shelves.

Thank you! :)
  • Like the pig..Maybe you should put it on top..It looks like it wants to really fly off!!
  • Like the pig..Maybe you should put it on top..It looks like it wants to really fly off!!

Haha he does look like he's ready to fly away!
  • These look great & what a cute piggie ! :)