Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Posting images to share ideas and get advice is always fun, but please be mindful of copyrights (i.e. if it's not yours, just link to it instead).

My Two First Furniture Projects

edited June 2013 in Look What I Did
After reading through the pages of posts about furniture re-do's I decided to make my first attempt to fix up some furniture. I had been keeping my eyes peeled for some good deals. We have a 1950's house and I wanted to get some mid-century pieces to use as accents.

I managed to find the accent chair for $20 at a Habitat for Humanity store. I found the dresser through Kijiji for $20. Both pieces were in decent shape, but definitely needed a good re-do. I had the fabric shipped in from Dwell for the chair, and got all of the primer, paint, and polycrylic from Home Depot. I followed all of the instructions I found on the site and things seemed to work beautifully. My paint job on the dresser is far from perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out for my first attempt!

photo

photo (1)

DSC_2220

DSC_2222

DSC_2224

DSC_2225

DSC_2226

DSC_2227

DSC_2228

Comments

• @Nancy_Pants, great minds think alike but in this case it's a no-brainer. That dresser is gorgeous!
  • @sketchystyles and @Nancy_Pants.....one can never go wrong with oil-rubbed bronze spraypaint!
  • OH...MY...GOSH!!!! Seriously - dropped my jaw over that amazing dresser!!!

Wow -- just wow!!! Beautiful job, beautiful colors, and the paint really shows up the super cool hardware (SOOOO glad you did not change it out!!).

=D> =D> =D>
  • Those look gorgeous! How did you get them to look so perfect without paint streaks?
  • Thanks @cassidyj626. The dresser went through a thorough sanding (enough to rough the surface but not so much that it went through the veneered parts. I primed it with 2 thin coats of oil based primer, then painted 3 coats of the latex grey on the dresser, and 6 coats of latex yellow on the drawers. The drawers required lots and lots of coats because it was such a vibrant color. There are some brush marks in the latex paint...but after sanding and more thin coats it came out okay. The paint job is far from perfect, but it's good enough to make me happy!
  • Holy wow! These turned out amazing. Great job, and I just love how that dresser is all up in your face. Brilliant.
  • rathersquarerathersquare Chicago area
    Wonderful job on both pieces! I am inspired.

Laura at Rather Square
  • Hey!!! You got the major shout out from Sherry and John!!! Wooot!!! \:D/
  • KristinFKristinF Columbia, SC
    That dresser is completely amazing. I love those color choices, and the finish looks flawless in the pics.
  • betsygbetsyg CT
    edited July 2013
    Well done. NO ONE would suspect the dresser was a first time attempt! I cannot wait to show my son, I know exactly what he is going to say, "That is sooo cool, those look like handles Spoke would have on HIS dresser!" The are fantastic.
  • nikileynikiley Denver, CO
    your dresser is just beautiful! Great job.
  • That dresser is perfection; amazing job!